250 gm Karela (Bitter Melon)
3-4 tsp Dhaniya (Coriander) Powder
1 tsp Jeera (Cumin) powder
1/2 tsp Haldi (Turmeric) powder
1/2 tsp Red chilly powder
1 tbsp Grated Dry Coconut
Half bowl of fresh green coriander leaves
salt to taste
2 tbsp Oil
½ tsp Rai (Mustard Seeds)
- Wash the karela properly and cut it into two halves.
- Now make 2 vertical cuts in opposite direction in each of the halves taking care that it cut it into parts.
- Now in a vessel boil water with 1 tsp salt and add the karela pieces into it. Let it boil for 3-4 min. This removes the bitterness from the karelas.
- In another bowl mix all the remaining ingredients and make a mix out of it.
- Once the karelas are cooled, squeeze the water out of them and fill this mixture into the slit ends.
- Now in pan heat the oil and add the mustard seeds
- Once the seeds crackle, put the masala filled kareals. If any masala is left over sprinkle it on the karelas
- Let the karelas cook on low flame with lid closed for 8-9 min. Roll the karelas on other side in between to let it cook on all the sides.
- Once the covering becomes brownish in color the Karelas are ready.
- Your jhatpat karelas are ready to eat….!!!