Jimikand or Yam also known as Suran in marathi is an all season vegetable. I am sure if you just go by its look you may not feel like eating it. But if cooked properly it can even beat a paneer. In fact many people use this as a substitute for paneer.
In this recipe i have boiled the yam pieces in salt and lemon juice. This process helps the salt and lemon to be absorbed properly and also removes the bitterness if any.
Do try this recipe.. It looks delicious and surely tastes delicious...!!
250 gms Jimikand (Yam)
1 tsp Dhaniya (Corainder) Seeds
1 tsp Poppy seeds (Khuskhus)
1 tsp Jeera (Cummin) Seeds
1/2 tsp Red chilly powder
1 tsp Cornflour/Rice Flour
1 Tbsp Oil
1 tsp lemon juice
salt to taste
1. Peel and cut the yam in cube size pieces
2. Boil the yam pieces in vessel half filled with water with some salt and lemon juice for around 15-20 min on low flame.
3. Now in a pan dry roast the jeera, dhaniya and poppy seeds on low flame.
4. Grind the roasted seeds and keep aside.
5. Now in a non stick pan heat some oil. Add some jeera and the boiled yam and fry for 3-4 min on high flame.
6. Now add the grinded mixture, red chili and salt and mix well.
7. Now in bowl take 1 tsp of cornflour/rice flour and make its paste with help of some water.
8. Add this paste into the yam and fry on high flame for another 2-3 min.
9. Your delicious Yam is ready to eat. Serve hot with Rotis or rice.